I’m starting to miss the country! I’m having a hankering to get outside of London. Luckily Sunday (tomorrow) is a day trip to Bath which will have a little calmer feeling than our area of London. We’re also stopping at Stonehenge which is not my favorite just because of the crowds but at least we’ll be out in the fields!
This week was very busy. In addition to our normal classes, I attended an Exhibition about a sustainable school in India, went to a lecture about engineering UK buildings for zero carbon, and also went to a half day conference where a series of architects talked about retrofitting buildings in design as a way to reduce carbon emissions.
All of these events were really interesting. I started to realize how passionate I really am about this type of design in architecture. I am way less interested in new-build and would really like a chance to work to update existing buildings to make them more efficient.
We also did have some fun this week! On Thursday Kathleen and I met up with my friend Allison at a Josh Ritter concert at a big venue called the Barbican. I’m used to a smaller feel for shows like this so it was strange to be sitting in a set seat. Everyone was “polite” and no one was up and dancing. By the end though, Josh got everyone out of their seats. It was fun to see British people listening to folky American music.
Last night 5 of us from the program went out for Mexican food just south east of Reagent’s Park. It was a lot of fun and really good food. Then out to the Marquis (our usual pub) which was seriously hopping on a Friday night. Tons of fun.
Today I’m trying to get some work done this morning. Then I’m going to try out Yoga at the gym where I’m a member (right across from the Marquis!). A couple other girls will be joining me. Then there’s a food market every Saturday in the Brunswick Center, which is an open shopping plaza basically. So Saturday it’s filled with vendors and really good stuff—dumplings, crepes, baked goods, curry, empanadas, paella… really anything you want… all for pretty cheap. AND THEN I’m headed to Peckham Rye train station to work on the drawings for that conservation project (see below!).
BATH!! Chill at the Beau Nash for me...or say hi to our secret/not so secret crush at that coffee place...what was it called? something with a J...
ReplyDelete